JULIA ZEBAK IS NCAA BOUND
Join the Edmonton Tsunami Water Polo Club as we congratulate Julia Zebak on her recent NCAA scholarship signing with the Long Island University Blackbirds! Julia will join the Blackbirds in their inaugural season where she is sure to play a pivotal role in this NCAA program for the next four seasons. Julia closes out the Tsunami senior class as the third and final athlete to sign an NCAA scholarship offer this season.
Located in Brooklyn, New York, LIU will be adding women’s water polo to their athletic program in the fall of 2019. Julia’s relentless positivity, resolute determination, and eagerness to learn will make her an immediate leader and outstanding teammate for the Blackbirds. Julia plans to major in Biochemistry with a minor in Neuroscience at LIU.
During her two seasons with Tsunami Julia has become a major piece of our NCL program. Her consistency in the net, passion for the game, and positive energy make her an irreplaceable member of our club. Julia is a two-time Water Polo Canada AGNT long-list member and has represented Team Alberta three times. In addition to the impact Julia has made at Tsunami, she has left her mark on the Edmonton Community through her involvement with other clubs as an athlete, volunteer coach, and referee.
Not only has Julia distinguished herself as Tsunami’s top female goalie, but also as an outstanding student-athlete. Julia has maintained an academic average in the mid 90s while being a full-time AP student in the Spanish Bilingual Program.
In the few moments Julia has between studying and training, she is also involved with multiple school groups/teams. Julia plays tuba for her school band, competes on five school sports teams (swim, track, volleyball, weightlifting, and rugby), and gives back to her school through the student leadership program.
“Over the past five years Julia has done nothing but earn my respect as a coach and as a friend. The way she courageously attacks her goals, always believes in her team, and never takes no for an answer makes me confident that she will succeed as moves into the NCAA. Congratulations, Julia, Tsunami could not be more excited for you!”
– Raine Paul, Tsunami Head Coach
“Julia’s passion for the game and enthusiasm to continually grow as a player will make her an excellent addition to the Blackbird squad. I am excited to watch her rise to the occasion in this next chapter and make some waves out on the East Coast!”
– Emily Riddle, Tsunami Goalie Coach
“What separates Julia from other players is her steadfast work ethic and her willingness to improve in every game and practice. She is constantly asking questions which allows her to make adjustments and improve. This eagerness to learn is not taught and will make her successful in all her future endeavours! Go get it, Julia!”
– Chris Toy, Tsunami Assistant Coach
Congratulations, Julia! Tsunami is excited to watch you thrive at LIU. Let’s go Blackbirds!
Julia Zebak Awards and Recognitions:
- U19 NCL National Championships Bronze Medalist (2018)
- U19 NCL Western Championships Silver Medalist (2018)
- Edmonton Tsunami U19 Girls Defensive Player of the Year (2018)
- Water Polo Canada U19 National Team Long List (2018)
- Water Polo Canada U18 National Team Long List (2018)
- German National Championships Most Valuable Goalie (2018)
- German National Championships Gold Medalist (2018)
- Metro High School 100m Backstroke Provincial Record Holder & Gold Medalist (2017 & 2018)
- Metro High School 50m Backstroke Bronze Medalist (2018)
- U16 NCL Western Conference Allstar Team (2017)
- U16 NCL Western Conference Most Valuable Goalie (2017)
- Austin O’Brien High School- Swimmer of the Year (2017)
- St. Kevin Junior High- Cross Country Runner of the Year (2016)
- U14 NCL Western Championships Gold Medalist (2015)
- Team Alberta (2014-2017)
- Alberta Open MVG (2014-2016)